Department of Regional Economy
A tradition of the Department has begun in the 50s, when an Institute of Regional Planning was set up as a part of the Department of National Economy Planning during a large-scale reorganization of the State Higher School of Economics. In 1958 the Department was renamed as the Department of Planning and Economics of Region. After the events of March 1968 institutions of higher education reorganized their systems and as a result of changes at the State Higher School of Economics, the Department of Planning and Economics of Region was transformed into the Institute of Planning and Economics of Regions. The head of the institute became prof. Stanisław Wacławowicz followed by prof. Antoni Fajferek. In 1992 the Department of Economic Policy and Regional Economy was managed by prof. Antoni Fajferek. Finally, in 1993 the Department of Regional Economy was established (from the division of the Department of Economic Policy and Regional Economy). The head director for following 17 years became prof. Zygmunt Szymla and from 2010 prof. Tadeusz Kudłacz performs the directing duties.
The Department consists of 3 institutes
Economy of Region and Spatial Engineering Institute, Institute of Urban Economy, Institute of Economic Geography. From an initiative of the employees of the Department a new major of Spatial Management is offered to students, who can select between two specializations: Strategies of Regional Development and Urban Management. (Bachelor`s Degree).
In 2011 a undergraduate program: Planning and Spatial Engineering was introduced to students. The education on this course can be continued on postgraduate studies (Master`s Degree).
The Department of the Regional Economy is a part of the Faculty of Finances of Cracow University of Economics. The research and teaching team consists of 20 people, including 4 professors. Department of the Regional Economy also employs one administrator.
Department oversees major Land Management. This field of study has enjoyed great popularity among the candidates.
Research interests of scientists working in Department of Regional Economy oscillate around economic aspects of the management of the space of cities and regions, the regional politics, the development of cities and the urban politics, the self-government economy and the role of entities of local self-government in stimulating the regional and local development of territorial units of the level.
The Department organizes conferences and conducts research programs.
The most important conferences in recent years:
- Prospects of the regional development of Poland in the period of programming after 2013
- Regional politics in Poland in the light of challenges of the 21st century
- Geography in economic-spatial studies
The most important research projects in recent years:
- The national park and the local economy. Model of economic relations on the example of Babia Góra National Park, Zawilińska B (project manager)
- Polish cities and regions in the new period of programming Kudłacz T. (project manager), Harańczyk A., Szymla Z., Brańka P., Hołuj A., Musiał-Malagó M., Serafin P., Zawilińska B.
- Local and regional manifestations of the development of the Polish economy of the 21st century Szymla Z. (project manager), Harańczyk A., Kudłacz T., Hołuj A., Brańka P., Kubejko-Polańska E.,
- Problems of the regional development of Poland. Internalization. Metropolization. Instruments of the environmental protection. Szymla Z. (project manager), Harańczyk A., Kudłacz T., Musiał-Malagó M., Hołuj A., Brańka P.
- Regional politics of Poland 2007-2013 – Evaluation of the degree of preparation, the degree of the realization and potentiality. Szymla Z. (project manager), Harańczyk A., Kudłacz T., Serafin P., Brańka P., Hołuj A.
- Contemporary determinants of the regional development Szymla Z. (project manager), Harańczyk A., Kudłacz T., Musiał-Malagó M., Reichel M., Serafin P., Brańka P., Hołuj A., Skowron E.,Kraków
- Programming the development of the regional economy, Szymla Z. (project manager), Hołuj A.,
- Regional determinants of the economic development, Szymla Z. (project manager), Serafin P., Hołuj A.